Aloe Vera is a popular plant, mainly used for medicinal purposes. It’s been used for thousands of years to help treat skin injuries, like sunburn. But what are some of its other health benefits?
This plant can be applied topically or ingested to enhance its healing properties.
What is Aloe Vera?
The Aloe Vera plant belongs to the succulent family and usually grows in tropical climates such as India, Africa and the Middle East. Even though it has spikey edges, the leaf has very thick and gooey flesh.
Aloe Vera juice is made from the plant’s flesh by crushing the entire leaf. It’s then filtered to produce the mild flavoured liquid. The juice is usually mixed with other flavoured juices, shakes and smoothies.
What are the benefits?
According to the experts at House Call Doctor, there are many health benefits that come from the Aloe Vera plant. They include:
- Healing wounds: Aloe Vera has been used for thousands of years for treating wounds. It is usually rubbed on the skin, rather than ingested. The plant is mostly used for burns, sunburn and sores. Studies suggest Aloe Vera speeds up the healing process by nine days, faster than most conventional medicines.
- Helping with your digestive system: Consuming Aloe Vera can help cleanse your digestive tract and also improve digestion. Particularly, Aloe Vera is used to aid with diarrhea and constipation.
- Preventing plaque build-up: Believe it or not, Aloe Vera can help with overall oral hygiene. The juice can be used as a mouthwash and some experts say it’s just as effective as normal commercial mouthwashes.
- Promotes liver function: If you’re looking for a detox, Aloe Vera could be just what you’re after. Aloe Vera juice helps the liver remain healthy as it keeps the body hydrated and nourished.
- Keeps skin clear: Aloe Vera is rich with nutrients that can help protect and repair your skin. It is suggested that Aloe Vera can help decrease the appearance of acne. It is also linked to helping reduce other common and untreatable skins conditions like psoriasis.
In summary, there are many benefits of Aloe Vera and it’s a great addition to your garden which can help to keep you healthy.